Friday, February 7, 2014

When LOVE is Tested - Love Challenge Week 1

We all have those days when Love is tried.

We can be cruising along, minding our own business, in our own little land of happiness and peace. I call that my Sunshine Inside spot. I have to keep that internally because the level of dissatisfaction around me can vary from person to person. And we are usually okay until we intersect with someone or something that throws us off. Such a thing happened this first week of the Love Challenge.

A co-worker approached me out of the blue and in a very disrespectful way insinuated that I had something that belonged to her. 

My first, second, and even my third thought was not "Christian" but it was human. 

My first thought was, No, she didn't.
My second thought? Out of 150+ people am I the only person she addressed? 
My third thought? How dare she ask me?

Let's just say there aren't very many chocolate chips on the staff cookie and this particular staffer isn't exactly a fan of chocolate chips. 

It wasn't just the question. It was the fact that she did not choose to send out a notice to everyone about her missing item. 
 
I really had no clue why she thought I might know where it was. The more I thought, the more livid I became. That's when I heard the Lord say, "Why don't you look for it?"

Okay, Jesus. Stop the press. Here I am, feeling insulted, and the Lord says, Go see if you can find it?

So, I go to the 'lost and found' and get some assistance. Sure enough, the item is there. 
The person overseeing 'lost and found' happily emails her that her missing item has been there all along. I walk way.

What did I learn from that?

I learned that I've still got some triggers and I must overcome them. God is so gracious to us so show us where WE are challenged to love people, and I am challenged to love those who accuse falsely.
Lord, HELP ME!

I also learned that we can choose to act on our emotions or quiet them and act as God would have us to act.

I also learned that we can leave things as they are or we can follow through.
I could have recognized her things and left it in the bin out of spite. Instead, I identified the item and had her notified.

Will I hold my breath for a thank you or an apology? Nope.

Sometimes the test of Love is not about how people respond to or treat us, but how we respond to and treat people who seem the most disagreeable.

Week 1, down Week 2 up next!

#PassTheTest

No comments:

Post a Comment