Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Finding People To Love- Love Challenge Week 2


Week two was a challenge in the strangest way. It was challenging for me to find people to love ON. Why? I had to really think outside the box, and I had to do some things remotely due to the snowmaggedon. People were not 'out and about' so that made my week a bit more challenging. This week, I focused on writing, and calling, and praying for people. 

As much as I wanted to season the whole world with my enthusiasm, I  learned this past week, that I had to meet people where they are. With it being Valentine's week, so much emphasis was placed on eros and not enough on agape or even brotherly love. 

I reflected on my own love relationship with my siblings, one I have grown closer to in the last five years, and the others...that are just not as close as I'd like them to be. I recognize that even in our desire to love people with all that is within us, it can be down right exhausting, if that kind of love is not reciprocal. I can imagine how Jesus felt, wanting the cities to receive what he had to give, yet they would not. 

Perception, apathy, skepticism, religiosity, all seemed to stand in the way of what Jesus was offering: redeeming love. I would venture to say, that many feel more comfortable with romantic love than redeeming love. You see that kind of love seems to peer into the soul, to see your flaws, your mishaps, your missteps, and love you anyway.

The truth of the matter, is that redeeming, unconditional love scares people. Some fear they just can't offer that kind of love in return so rather than receiving it, they sabotage a great relationship and convince themselves that what was offered was not real. I know, I've been there. 

So the challenge this week is to accept the love that is given in a gracious fashion. To appreciate those who appreciate you right back. To not allow the question why me? to settle in the mind. So, be open to agape. Be open to brotherly love. Take off your lenses of suspicion and look with a fresh pair of eyes.

I can't wait to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment